ITEMS I WOULD HATE TO LIVE WITHOUT

Circle Scarfs: I brought two, one thick and one that was light. The light one I wore every day and it covered any number of sins, including the bulge from my money belt to bloating after one too many dumplings. I used it to wrap my hair up, as a pillow, and to cover my mouth during particularly dusthorse cart rides. The thicker one generally was used as a blanket, on picnics, blocked light from windows, as a dress on laundry day. Absolutely essential.

Sea-to-Summit Waterproof Compression Sack: I only brought one which I really regret. Two or three would have made a better option. There is a large debate among the solo travelers of the world whether compression sacks or dry-bags are better options. I choose both. This small bag is lightweight and wonderful. It’s nice to know that my neatly compressed clothes are dry in the case of downpour!

Danskin Triathalon Shorts: I wear these everyday under my skirt. They protect against chaffing when it’s hot, serve as a quick dry swim suit when paired with a sports bra from impromptu swimming occasions and, although I resisted the light padding at first, even that has come in handy for long bike rides!

Merrell Natural Foot Shoes: My original thought was to wear Chacos everywhere I went, a philosophy I used frequently in the past. But, sandals are not always culturally appropriate in some areas and closed toed shoes are preferred. Also, your feet don’t get quite as dirty and dusty, they are easy to slip on and off, and because they are actually a running shoe, I had no qualms about hiking with them as the grip was wonderful. When they did get dirty, I could just rinse them in the shower and they dried overnight. I even had them polished at an airport!

Photo Album of Friends, Family, and Pets: While some travelers suggest loading photos on your iphone, there is value to be had from real photos. For example, you can gift them if you want to and people can touch them and flip back and forth. In my case, a photo album became almost a safety net. The more people know about you, the less you are an “other” and more you are something to relate to.

Comments

Popular Posts